A terrific piece from Hamutal Dotan. Read it now.
She goes through all the political, ethical and symbolic arguments in favour of Rob Ford’s participation, so I won’t repeat them here. The only observation I’d make is to wonder, who in god’s name is advising him these days?
We can debate about whether this is a big-picture or little-picture thing, but even that’s beside the point. It’s also beside the point to speculate about how the mayor may feel, personally, about our gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and/or queer brothers and sisters.
And in her inimitably classy way, Kristyn Wong-Tam’s trying to throw him a rope:
Leaving aside Team Ford’s approach to contracting out, or transit, or waterfront redevelopment, or revenue versus spending, or any of the other major files involved in municipal governance, this seems like such a no-brainer. You show up, you read a statement of support, you pose for a few pictures, and then you head for the cottage. Five minutes, for chrissakes. Of all the things he’s getting beaten up for, this seems so easy to avoid.
Hello, Ford handlers? Someone want to explain this, please?
- Video: Laura Fitch, Jaime Jenett and Simon Lev Fitch-Jenett in Listen From the Heart
- Jamie Hubley: Again, this is where we juxtapose | #homophobia #stupidity
- A dog whistle from Hudak | #onpoli #homophobia
- CP24’s unique spin on #PrideTO
- Mayor Ford, #Pride, and political calculus | #TOpoli