Koba and I are asking you nicely.
Really, people, it’s a no-brainer. We shouldn’t even have to ask. It’s part of living in the city and being a good neighbour.
I touched on this a few weeks ago in a post about my attempt to get part of a local green space declared an off-leash area. The upshot of that was that it’s not going to happen any time soon, but in terms of on-the-ground realities, local residents and users of the space — parents, kids, students, dogs and dog people — have established an informal modus vivendi whereby everyone lives and lets live. We look the other way, we keep our dogs under control, we pick up the empty booze bottles, and we try to keep it cool. It’s that old spirit of generosity and accommodation. To the extent that the no-dogs rules are enforced, it’s on a haphazard and occasional basis, and it’s complaint-driven.
So it stands to reason, then, that it’s in all of our interests not to generate reasons for complaints. Which brings me to the prosaic and yucky trigger for this little rant: people who don’t pick up after their dogs.
Seriously, people? Seriously? No, really. Seriously? Do I have to walk you through this?
If you leave dog shit where kids are playing, sooner or later someone’s going to get it on them. Angry parents complain, as they have every right to do, and before you know it the neighbourhood is up in arms and the by-law officers are handing out tickets and a nice neighbourly vibe is poisoned. All because some asshole couldn’t be bothered to assume the most basic responsibility of dog ownership / dog stewardship.
Come on, folks. A lot of life’s little aggravations can be avoided if you just follow one simple rule. Remember the old truism about how it only takes one asshole to ruin things for everyone? Don’t be that asshole.
- Dogs, citizenship, and a lesson from @m_layton | #TOpoli
- Nuance, complexity, and why progressives are frequently at a disadvantage | #TOpoli #onpoli #cdnpoli
- Politics, decency, and finding common ground: the restoration of civility | #TOpoli #cdnpoli
- Dogs VS Asshole of the Day (drunkenstepfather.com)
- Infrastructure maintenance, billion-dollar tax savings, and Accounting 101 | #TOpoli (solchrom.wordpress.com)
- Dog Poop And Leash Signs (dogpoopsigns.com)
- Video: Suitman event for Ossington | #TOpoli (solchrom.wordpress.com)
- How To Stop Dog From Eating Poop (mademan.com)
- Can a Dog be Over Trained? (gretchensite.wordpress.com)