“You’re bloody well right, we need to tax and spend. We’re living with the results of decades of NOT taxing and spending, and what have we got? Buses that don’t arrive. Chunks of the Gardiner falling on our heads. Crumbling infrastructure. Poisonous inequality. Epidemic levels of child poverty. It’s way past time we fixed this, instead of embracing the failed policies advanced by the austerity advocates and other mouthpieces for the far right.”
What I’d love to hear from progressive candidates, not just in the municipal arena, but almost any other context. Stop letting the flimflam artists of the Right use “tax and spend” as a smear. Things cost money. Taxes pay for things. Socialist, left-wing, progressive, whatever. Morans and poo-flingers can call it whatever names they want. A fella can dream.
- Elections and renewing our commitment to the #PublicGood | #TOpoli #onpoli #cdnpoli
- Deficit reduction, austerity, and the meaning of conservatism | #onpoli #TOpoli #ThePublicGood
- Reviving #ThePublicGood, part 6: Government is not a business | #TOpoli #onpoli #cdnpoli
- Reviving #ThePublicGood, part 5: Taxes and the role of government | #TOpoli #onpoli #cdnpoli
- Infrastructure maintenance, billion-dollar tax savings, and Accounting 101 | #TOpoli